Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 5

(originally written April 5th, taken from personal journal)
Second day with out full use of computer. Hating it.
Pop Ups still annoying, but i didn't have as much anxiety this time.

A friends asked today if i was happy with the progression of the story. I love it. I love how the characters are coming to life and leading me all the way. They are taking me down roads, through river bends and behind buildings.
Writing, I'm learning is a lot like working a customer service job. When you go into work, you have a plan in your head. Things you want to accomplish before the day is done. Maybe you need to do an inventory of stock, or revamp your catalog for print. But when you get to work, you're faced with customers. If you're lucky, a lot of customers and they all have needs.
Characters are to writers, what customers are to retail workers. When they approach you you really must abandon what you're doing to listen and accommodate them.
I know I'm a damn good customer service rep. (Hell, i have a whole folder full of written accolades from customers!) but I'm learning I'm a pretty damn good writer too. (Have a new folder of characters stories to prove that!)
Truth be told, and don't tell my customers this, but i like characters better. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment